Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Journal Entry #2 - Persona Paper

The text that I have chosen to write about is a few narratives I wrote in my 11th grade English class. The assignment was to write a few installments to a fictional narrative about a trip to a destination. I wrote about being on a cramped, smelly bus on the way to a Elvis Presley's Graceland. It was a cool paper because I was able to write in any style I wanted and have any voice I wanted, so I portrayed a very negative persona for the fun of it.

Here is a segment from the first narrative:

"I can’t believe I’m being dragged through this. It’s ridiculous. I keep hearing her high-pitched voice in my head: “Trust me, you’ll love it. Elvis is the king of rock ‘n roll. Don’cha wanna see a bit of history?” No. But of course that caring boyfriend attitude in me made me say Yes. Gotta love that caring boyfriend attitude. Now I’m stuck for hours on a damn bus until I reach the place of my dreams…Memphis, Tennessee. Amanda wants to go to Graceland for obvious reasons; she is in love with Elvis Presley."

I would have to say this relates most to Lindsay Lohan's television ad. In the narrative, I use a very sarcastic tone of voice, often saying one thing and meaning the opposite, much like Lohan does in her video. However, she is awfully cheery in the clip, while the narrator of my story is very pessimistic.

1 comment:

  1. I think that you made a good choice in picking your persona text. You will be able to focus in on your tone well and with tone pick out diction that is related to your tone. You also know your voice in the story is your style. Also along with the tone and diction, you could maybe look at organization and point of view in your text. I agree with your statement in how your persona text is related to Lindsay Lohan's. Your tones are similar in the sense that there is sarcasm in both the persona text. The diction, which related to the tone, seem similar. Nice job on this journal entry.

    ReplyDelete